Friday, November 1, 2013

Professionalism on Both Sides

A professional voice actor is used to rejection. They might do at least a dozen auditions daily that don't get accepted by potential clients. It's part of the game.

You do your best to interpret the copy and the copy direction, record, edit and submit. After that, as one of my cohorts said "submit and forget". You've done your best, there's no sense dwelling..move on.  If you get a callback, that's super!

However, recently I encountered a different situation. An ad agency liked my audition. They retained me, sent me the copy, which I recorded. There were some issues in my submission; some were my fault (pronunciation of some words) and some were copy revisions. I rerecorded and submitted.  I got an email from the agency saying all was well.

Late that evening I received an email from the agency saying their client wanted a new recording and they wanted to phone patch the session. I immediately responded with an affirmative and told them to I was available in the morning.

I was up and ready to go at the time I specified. No call. Then, maybe two hours later, I saw the exact job/copy I'd been working on posted on a P2P site. When I saw it I sent the agency an email asking if I was no longer a part of the project.  No response.

I can understand that a client might not approve what their ad agency has prepared. Having worked on that side, I've had it happen numerous times. But for the agency to leave a talent hanging, to seek other talent without any notification ("the client decided to go in another direction") smacks of unprofessionalism.

I can take rejection...I get it every day. However, after a few reads, I'd at least expect the common courtesy of an email informing me of their client's decision. To me, that's the professional way to conduct business. 

Maybe I'm just too old school.

No comments:

Post a Comment