Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Whoas of P2P Sites

I'm a member of a few P2P sites.  Some are good, some I have to wonder about after a few months.

First, while I've always been fascinated with automation of websites, it gets frustrating to receive "invitations" to work my voice is not at all suited.  I recently received an invitation to audition for a spot calling for a "natural sounding Spanish accent".  I have trouble ordering at Taco Bell!  And no where in my voice profile is the word Spanish mentioned.  My only worries is that the site's automation will now categorize my deletion of the audition as a "doesn't play nice" and slows down the auditions it send to me.

One site annoys me in that their email states "you've been invited" yet it's automated and hundred of others also got that same invitation.  Not exactly an exclusive, that's for sure.  That same site also made a big deal about curtailing "talent" from uploading their generic demo when the client specifically has asked for a custom demo.  Yet, at least a dozen times yesterday, it was apparent some "talent" did exactly that.  I happened to be on the site when a new job appeared.  Less than 30 seconds later 4 "auditions" had been uploaded.  I wish I could record, edit and upload that fast.

I really understand budgets. I had a long career on the "other side of the mic" in advertising so I know all about number crunching, etc.  But I really don't get clients that submit a"job" that is far below even "discount" Voiceover site levels.  Asking for a 15 minute read "that sounds like Morgan Freeman" with a budget of less than $200 is, in my opinion, ridiculous.  I blame that, in part, to the P2P sites not taking the time to educate the client.  True, clients have budgets and they have to stick to them.  But, P2P sites, you need to address this, somehow.  Honestly, I think it would do both the client and the talent justice if set fees were established and that's it.  A rate card with a bit of flexibility for the client but doesn't "rob" the talent.  Yes, that might scare away a few potential clients that want to leave on the cheap...but in the long run the site will be known as delivering quality product at reasonable pricing. 

OK, done ranting.  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment