Tuesday, June 4, 2013

A Little Accounting Help

As a voice over artist, I'm basically a one person business. The worst part of running a business, for me, is accounting.

I have a pretty good handle on Quicken Home and Business. I prefer using that as it's compatible with Turbo Tax (I haven't gotten to the stage of hiring an accountant). I can also do "splits" as I have a dedicated room I use exclusively as my studio/office. Thus, a percentage of my home costs equal to the percentage my studio is of my home square footage is deductible.

With Android, I found a nice app called Cashbook. It's compatible with Quicken for expense tracking, etc. Thus, if I drop some cash on something on the road, I can enter it. Another plus is the mileage tracker. IRS wants some sort of log for business related miles. This app can do it a couple of ways; you can enter start and stop mileage with an explanation or you can just let it use the GPS to record it. Pretty cool. The app can be set so it uploads Quicken files to a cloud for download at tax time.

So, if you're using Quicken, take a look at Cashbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment