Saturday, March 23, 2013

Thank You, Ernie

Quite a few years ago, when I was in the advertising business, I learned how great some of the greats truly are.

Back in the late '80's I didn't have a clue about Unions, scale or even how to book a talent.  I just thought you picked up the phone and and said "hey, can you do this for me?"

We were grand opening a new shopping mall in New Jersey.  A brilliant jingle composer named Dan Milner had produced a piece that was truly wonderful.  It was a bluesy sounding "song" that fit our demographics and the sound of popular music at the time.  After I heard it, I knew there was one voice that would work with it; the "Love Boat guy" from ABC.

I didn't even know the guy's name.  We just knew he did all the promo announcements for the ABC Network including "the Loooove Boat".  So, not knowing any better, I dialed up ABC Network headquarters in New York City to see if I could get a name and contact information.  I got bounced around a bit from department to department until I reached a guy in Production.  After I explained my quest, he said "Oh, Ernie.  Hang on a second."  I heard some blips and static and then I heard a guy say "Production, LA".  The guy in New York had sent me via satellite to ABC Los Angeles.

The late, great Ernie Anderson
I explained again my quest and the guy said, "Oh yeah.  You want Ernie Anderson."  Not knowing the announcers name, I went along with it, "Yeah, that's the guy.  How can I reach him?"  Without any hesitation the ABC Production person gave me a phone number.  I thanked him, hung up and dialed.

The phone rang a couple of times and "the voice" answered himself,  "Hello".  I introduced myself but before I could get into why I was calling Mr. Anderson asked me how I got his home number.  I explained briefly how I had called ABC, etc.  He then asked me why I called. I told him I wanted to use him for 3-30 second spots to air in New York City, each one running one week.  He chuckled and said "Kid, I don't think I can do them.  I have a 3 year waiting list for New York.  And my rate is 4 times scale."

I apologized for bothering him and, demonstrating my lack of knowledge, asked what scale was and how that translated to actual cost.  He explained scale to me (I think, at the time, it was about $300 for NYC). So he wanted something like $1,200 per spot!  Again I apologized for bothering him, that I wasn't aware how to hire voice talent and, most importantly, I couldn't afford such a cost. He laughed and told me it was no problem.

As I was about to ring off, thanking him for his time, he said "wait a minute, how did you get my home number again?"  I explained my lengthy transcontinental phone adventure as he sort of chuckled in the background.  He stopped me and asked when the spots were supposed to air.  I told him.  He laughed and told me that anyone that spent that amount of time trying to track him down deserved a break.  "I'll do them for scale, have your producer call me and we'll record them this week".  I about died.  I thanked him profusely and hung up.  

Mr. Anderson recorded to the spots in LA at a studio with my friend Dan producing.  They sounded exactly as I envisioned.  But, most importantly, I saw what a gentleman he was.  He could have easily blown me off.  But, instead, he took the time to explain the business to me and did a rookie a favor.  I remain forever indebted to him.

Mr. Anderson passed away in 1997.  In my eyes, he was truly one of the greats. 

http://www.ernieanderson.com/

Note to voice over artists: this is probably not how to behave in a studio..but demonstrates what a perfectionist Ernie truly was.  Very funny (definitely NSFW)

Ernie on Letterman in 1983.

No comments:

Post a Comment