Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Put Me In, Coach!

I had a very insightful and informative session with my Voice Over coach yesterday.  And it brought to light that hiring a coach is invaluable.

If you're like me, you have a home studio and crank out quite a few auditions each and every day.  If you're a member of the pay-to-play sites, the extent of your feedback is maybe a green check mark, thumbs up icon or the equally ambiguous "considering", "not likely" or "finalist".  Not much of a critique, especially when you're just starting out or do voice over "on the side". 

Having a coach makes all the difference.  A coach is a mentor.  They are a pro at voice over (if you have the right one) and can listen to your efforts and evaluate both technically and creatively.  And believe me, I've learned that's important in this highly competitive industry. 

Having a coach is hiring an objective ear.  There is NO WAY you can listen to one of your recordings and properly evaluate it.  There is NO WAY a significant other can evaluate it (even if they are in the industry).  A coach, while they do have a vested interest in you and your career, can listen, evaluate and provide you with a constructive critique.  You can't count on a significant other to do the same, that's for sure.

I'll be honest and say that I didn't think I needed a coach.  I've been doing voice-over as a freelancer for years.  But in just one session, I walked out with information of not only how to voice a "spot", but also how to analyze the copy.  Get INTO the copy, feel what the copywriter/client is trying to achieve.  You can't ignore copy direction, but you can give the direction your personal spin.  They may want "Sam Elliott" but your read, with some passion and "feeling", might just make them think "Hey, this is what we want!" Score one for the talent...and a pleased client that will come back for more.

I now realize I need a coach.  I need that direction; that insight only a professional can give.  And, I'm pretty confident that this is going to lead to better things and, importantly, more pleased clients and repeat business.


No comments:

Post a Comment