Monday, May 6, 2013

Adobe Restructing Their Software

I use Adobe Audition 100% of the time in recording.  Since the days of "Cool Edit", which Adobe bought out years ago, I've grown comfortable with the layout, etc.

Today, Adobe announced they're going to sell software subscriptions versus the old "burn it on a DVD and package it" merchandising.  In one way, it makes sense for Adobe as it pretty much puts the software pirates out of business. I think no matter what "safeguards" they had tried to use before just plain didn't work.  Usually within a day or so the latest version was on Pirate Bay and other torrent sites.

At first I was pretty distressed as the cost of the cloud is around $600 a year.  And, since the only Adobe product I use is Audition, it was a bitter pill to try to swallow.  After all, you can buy the latest copy (CS6) for about $330 retail.

It wasn't until I started to dig a bit did I discover Adobe's full Creative Cloud pricing plan.  I found out for people like me, we can buy access to a single product for $20 a month.  At $240 a year, I don't think that's too much to have a constantly upgraded version of my software of choice. 

The Adobe program starts in June.  I'm going to investigate what, if any, improvements are in store for Audition.  If I see some significant changes, then I'll jump at the program and join their Creative Cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment